If you’re an average American, you produce 4.4. pounds of trash every single day. In a nation of nearly 324 million people, that amounts to more than 700,000 tons of garbage produced every day—enough to fill around 60,000 garbage trucks. That is a shocking amount of waste.
The best thing we can do is to simply consume less! Remember that REDUCTION is the first ‘R’ in the classic Reduce, Reuse & Recycle.
Here are our top 5 local tips on reducing waste:
1. Buy in bulk! Sage Mountain Natural Foods
is our favorite place in town to buy bulk items. You can get almost everything you need in bulk from tea, popcorn and trailmix to dishsoap!
2. Bring your reusable mug in for coffee at your local coffee shop! Almost every coffee shop will offer you a 10-15 cent discount for bringing in your mug. We know for sure our friends at Argonaut
3. Bring tupperware for take-out! Do you often bring home leftovers from eating out on the town? Bring your tupperware from home and save the waste of a single-use container.
4. Bring reusable bags when you shop. Keep them handy in the car and purse so you never leave them without them.
5. Save money and reduce waste all while enjoying your favorite brew by filling your growler!Ready to make moves towards zero waste? Check out ‘Learn More’ for 100 tips from zerowastefamily.com to drastically reduce your household waste!